Mudroom Remodel Part 1
I know what you’re thinking… ” Cherelle, you left us hanging with your Master Bedroom Remodel Part 1 and now you’re moving to Mudroom Remodel Part 1, as in…another room?? “.
Well yes, that IS what I am doing. For a couple of reasons:
#1- My master bedroom is in a design rut and it’s like 85% decorated, with the other 15% in limbo. I am not sure what to do on a few walls, so it’s put on hold for now until I get a burst of inspiration.
#2- This is just how we roll. We tackle one million projects at once because we need some excitement in our lives… apparently.
So here we are, moving onto our Mudroom which is also considered our entryway. It is the first ” room ” you will approach upon entering our home and so I knew I wanted to do something fantastically.. ME! The plan is to paint my front door my favorite color; a nice, dark black ( ha ) and I am going to paint the floor a really fun color. I have plans to hang a chandelier ( of course ) and I have purchased some farmhouse pictures for the walls and a new welcome mat that is super cute! The walls will be painted.. get ready for it… WHITE, because I want the room to feel clean, airy, and bigger. Although the thought of anything being really ” clean ” at this farmhouse is sort of a joke because we are always ALL, so dirty. If I told you that I dust my feet off every night before I place them into my bed, that would not be an understatement. AND if I told you that my feet are always dirty, would not be a joke either. Such is life on a farm I guess?
But back to the mudroom…
Here was the mudroom when we first bought the house
As you can see, it is a decent sized Mudroom/Entryway, but it just needs some jazzing up.
I never thought I would see the day that I would embrace wall paneling as much as I am at this house. It’s actually quite funny looks people give us when they see us actually PURCHASING paneling at Home Depot. Most people want to get rid of paneling, and here we are purchasing paneling. I like the look of wall paneling in white because I feel it gives off a rustic, cottage look, so I am diggin’ it.
When we started on the mudroom remodel, I told Mr. Hubs the logistics of the mudroom remodel plan. Here is the list:
#1- I want the walls white so that I can see if any bug are in this room.
#2- I want to caulk every crook and cranny so that no bugs can get into this room.
#3- We need a new front door because this one has cracks and bugs can get into this room.
Can you see a pattern here? I want this room to be as BUG FREE as can be physically possible. After seeing the most ginormous spider in the mudroom one night, and it slipped away from us between the cracks in the walls and we never found it, and I might have not slept too well that night… things have never been the same.
So Let this room be bug proof!
That’s my goal and let’s get started!
Tearing off old trim pieces around doors and windows
Time to start adding the hideous wall paneling
We nailed it with a brad nailer
The funny things we find lurking behind walls in this house. Duct tape anyone?
And some more paneling…
Now time to trim in the windows, which required a few funky cuts
Caulking has been a lifesaver at this home. We use it everywhere! And remember, I want there to be no cracks that bugs can sneak through, so we caulked EVERYTHING.
Top window trim without caulking..
Now with caulking.. Ahhh bug proof!
Added some decorative trim under the windowsill
Crown molding at the top
And some more caulking to give it a more finished look
And that is it for Mudroom Remodel Part 1. In the next post I will show you all the painting we did to the mudroom. I am actually really excited for this room to be done; it’s almost there!